UPDATE – YFD MEDIA STATEMENT: At 2:50am today Yarmouth Fire Department received a 911 call for a house fire at 5 Wallis Drive, West Yarmouth. Multiple Engines responded including an automatic mutual aid Ladder Truck from Hyannis Fire Department.
Crews arrived on location to find the basement of a duplex home filled with heavy smoke. Crews advanced a hose line into the basement to find the dryer on fire. The fire was quickly extinguished. Crews were on scene for 2 1/2 hours venting the two homes with heavy duty fire department fans.
The occupants from both units had already evacuated prior to our arrival with the help of the Yarmouth Police.
The dryer was destroyed and removed from the home. Fire investigation will continue today in an attempt to determine the cause. Although lint build up does not look to be a contributing factor at this fire Deputy Chief Sawyer would like to remind everyone to clean the lint filter after every cycle and inspect and clean the exhaust vent and ducting periodically.
INITIAL HN REPORT:
WEST YARMOUTH – Occupants of a duplex needed to evacuate as firefighters responded to reports of fire on Wallis Drive early this morning.
At about 3:00 a.m., police officers and members of the Yarmouth Fire Department began responding to reports of a structure fire.
The first responders on scene reported smoke coming from the basement…
As you will see in the following HN Video, firefighters entered the home to extinguish the source of the smoke… and large fans were eventually brought in to ventilate the home.
According to initial observations from fire officials on scene, the fire appears to have been caused by a dryer located in the basement of home…